(also syllabication /səˈlabiˈkāSHən/)
Definition of syllabification in English:
The division of words into syllables, either in speech or in writing.
- What is meant by the following: Alphabet, phonetic, orthography, etymology, syllabication?
- A member of the French department at The Johns Hopkins University helped students arrive at correct pronunciation and syllabification of the poetic text prior to recording the vocal versions.
- However, syllabication serves an important role in writing instruction, providing the writer with a basic formula and starting point.
- Example sentences
- Finally, note that, in verse, the entire line is syllabified as if it were one word.
- He was also noted for distinctively syllabifying the words in a song: ‘When Ai-eh yam disc-ouraged’.
- Next we syllabify it and return the created lexical entry.
Pronunciation: /səˈlabəˌfī/verb (syllabifies, syllabifying, syllabified)
Definition of syllabification in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan