(also syllabication /səˈlabiˈkāSHən/)
The division of words into syllables, either in speech or in writing.
- What is meant by the following: Alphabet, phonetic, orthography, etymology, syllabication?
- A member of the French department at The Johns Hopkins University helped students arrive at correct pronunciation and syllabification of the poetic text prior to recording the vocal versions.
- However, syllabication serves an important role in writing instruction, providing the writer with a basic formula and starting point.
syllabifyverb (syllabifies, syllabifying, syllabified)
- Example sentences
- Finally, note that, in verse, the entire line is syllabified as if it were one word.
- He was also noted for distinctively syllabifying the words in a song: ‘When Ai-eh yam disc-ouraged’.
- Next we syllabify it and return the created lexical entry.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of syllabification in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.