- (Of a language) characterized by a rhythm in which syllables occur at roughly equivalent time intervals, irrespective of the stress placed on them. French is a syllable-timed language. Contrasted with stress-timed.More example sentences
- Japanese is a syllable-timed language with a pitch accent.
- Learners whose mother tongue is phonemic or syllable-timed have particular problems.
- But an even more common error made by non-native speakers whose mother tongue is syllable-timed is not reducing function words and other unstressed syllables enough.
More definitions of syllable-timedDefinition of syllable-timed in:
- The British & World English dictionary