Definition of symbology in English:
1The study or use of symbols.
- Appropriating Jungian symbology, the study argues that, for Page, the imagination is a divine faculty whose figures hint at the completeness embodied in the archetype of the God-image.
- Then I learned the symbology of the rose, and the history of the symbology and the literature it comprises and my appreciation of the rose became an intellectual one.
- Concurrent with this shift is the emergence of the individual psyche, the Self, the subconscious, psychoanalysis, symbology, dream interpretation, Humanism, and the rising popularity of Eastern Mysticism in the West.
1.1Symbols collectively: the use of religious symbology
More example sentences
- For example, there appears to be no field or professor of religious symbology at Harvard.
- Crescent moons, stars, spades, hammers and indecipherable symbology - the security guy couldn't tell me what they symbolized but the effect is deeply mystical, mysterious, almost Egyptian.
- The vestiges of pagan religion in Christian symbology are undeniable.
Words that rhyme with symbologyanthropology, apology, archaeology (US archeology), astrology, biology, campanology, cardiology, chronology, climatology, cosmology, craniology, criminology, dermatology, ecology, embryology, entomology, epidemiology, etymology, geology, gynaecology (US gynecology), haematology (US hematology), hagiology, horology, hydrology, iconology, ideology, immunology, iridology, kidology, meteorology, methodology, musicology, mythology, necrology, neurology, numerology, oncology, ontology, ophthalmology, ornithology, parasitology, pathology, pharmacology, phraseology, phrenology, physiology, psychology, radiology, reflexology, scatology, Scientology, seismology, semiology, sociology, tautology, technology, terminology, theology, topology, toxicology, urology, zoology • eulogy • energy • synergy • apogee • liturgy • lethargy
Definition of symbology in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan