- Each of a group of additional wire strings fitted to certain stringed instruments to give extra resonance.More example sentences
- Since the late 18th century, most of the music written for the viola d' amore calls for an instrument with seven playing and seven sympathetic strings, tuned in a D major chord, A d a d' f#' a'd".
- Maybe 17 strings, with sympathetic strings, like a sitar.
- Some instruments have as many as 15 sympathetic strings tuned to different notes of the scale.
More definitions of sympathetic stringDefinition of sympathetic string in:
- The British & World English dictionary