- A large classical orchestra, including string, wind, brass, and percussion instruments.More example sentences
- The school has a strong music department and runs a symphony orchestra, a chamber orchestra, and several quartets.
- The instrumentation of the military band is similar to that of the symphony orchestra, minus the strings, but with the addition of cornets and saxophones, and a multiplicity of flutes and clarinets of various sizes.
- Work on a new media village at White City, west London, is almost complete but sources say plans for a new home for the BBC symphony orchestra and concert orchestra have been frozen.
More definitions of symphony orchestraDefinition of symphony orchestra in:
- The British & World English dictionary