nounBotany & Zoology
- Each of a set of type specimens of equal status, upon which the description and name of a new species is based. Compare with holotype.More example sentences
- Of the syntypes on which he based the species, only two are currently known to be extant.
- As noted above, it closely resembles the syntype pygidium of E. acadicus, and is tentatively assigned to that species.
- One of the syntypes of Archidemsus macnicoli was found at an unknown site in Tayside and the other was found in the Carmyllie quarry complex near Arbroath.
More definitions of syntypeDefinition of syntype in:
- The British & World English dictionary