noun (plural syrinxes)
- 2 Ornithology The lower larynx or voice organ in birds, situated at or near the junction of the trachea and bronchi and well developed in songbirds.More example sentences
- They have a tracheobronchial syrinx with one pair of intrinsic muscles and modified bronchial and tracheal rings.
- But the physical part of the syrinx in small songbirds is kind of similar from one bird to the next.
- The muscles involved in the control of respiration, the syrinx, and movements of the beak are used during song, and all muscular activity requires energy.
early 17th century: via Latin from Greek surinx 'pipe, channel'.
More definitions of syrinxDefinition of syrinx in:
- The British & World English dictionary