Definition of tabby in English:
noun (plural tabbies)
1 (also tabby cat) A cat whose fur is mottled or streaked with dark stripes.
[ late 17th century (as tabby cat): said to be so named from its striped coloring]
- There are tabbies and toms in white, black, grey and ginger.
- On my way home I was accosted by a mewing tabby and white shorthair cat that proceeded to follow me home.
- A grey tabby cat with white legs and wearing a red collar with a bell was found in the Hawthorn area of the town over the New Year period.
1.1 informal Any domestic cat.
- Even the most beloved mutt or tabby is deemed virtually worthless: rescued from an animal shelter for a nominal fee, they can be ‘replaced’ at the same expense.
- Cats and dogs run the risk of falling victim to accidents just as much as humans do, and when an operation is required, your adorable little tabby might need an urgent blood transfusion.
- Unfortunately, the odds are less than favourable for this overgrown tabby.
adjectiveBack to top
Definition of tabby in:
- British & World English dictionary