- A form of musical notation indicating fingering rather than the pitch of notes, written on lines corresponding to, for example, the strings of a guitar or the holes on a flute.More example sentences
- The Turin tablatures contain a similar range of music notated in new German keyboard tablature rather than staff notation, including transcriptions of motets and madrigals as well as idiomatic keyboard music.
- Music for the lute was written in tablature, indicating which strings were to be stopped on which frets, with the rhythm noted above.
- The notation looks just like contemporary guitar tablature, but my musical knowledge stops around there.
late 16th century: from French, probably from Italian tavolatura, from tavolare 'set to music'.
More definitions of tablatureDefinition of tablature in:
- The British & World English dictionary