Definition of tachymeter in English:
1A theodolite for the rapid measurement of distances in surveying.
- A system for alignment and measurement of positions includes an electronic tachymeter and a reflector system.
- Surveyors use a tachymeter to make quick calculations of the distances, bearings or elevations of distant objects.
- The use of contact-less and satellite-based tachymeters and digital levelling instruments guarantees a standardised and efficient workflow.
2A facility on a watch for measuring speed.
- Two new Carrera tachymeters were launched at the end of 2005: a model with chocolate-brown dial, tachymeter and bracelet; and a model with blue dial and tachymeter and steel bracelet.
- Unlike paintings, for example, which can be judged instinctively, if subjectively, a watch has to be judged from both an aesthetic and a mechanical standpoint, with a complicated lexicon of bezels, tourbillons and tachymeters to master beside the issue of aesthetics.
- Example sentences
- This module provides an introduction to cartography and covers the production of topographic maps and plans based on accurate tachymetric surveys using computer aided drafting packages.
- A tachymetric plan and 3D model of the measured and geophysically prospected areas was created.
- The timepiece features tachymetric divisions in aluminum, protective pushbuttons with notches for comfort of operating, and a screw-in crown.
Definition of tachymeter in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India