Having or showing tact: they need a tactful word of advice they were too tactful to say anything
More example sentences
- The tactful use of his skills and a clear understanding of the game have made this young man an instant favourite with the crowds in an alien land.
- Be a catalyst for change by letting your actions and voices be heard in a diplomatic and tactful manner.
- The issue was not broached in the most articulate or tactful manner, but it did generate quite a bit of discussion on our opinion pages.
diplomatic, discreet, considerate, sensitive, understanding, thoughtful, delicate, judicious, politic, perceptive, subtle;
courteous, polite, decorous, respectful
- Example sentences
- More than that, it is the essence of delicacy and tactfulness in American film.
- Another way is to ensure that managers are well trained in the art of tactfulness and diplomacy and given plenty of opportunity to experience living and working in different cultures.
- I had never been able to let go of caution, even when the constant tactfulness and consideration became painful.
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.