Definition of taenia in English:
noun (plural taeniae /-nēˌē, -nēˌī/ or taenias)
1 Anatomy A flat ribbonlike structure in the body.
- These sites lie always between the mesenteric tenia and the two antimesenteric teniae, so that the diverticula form rows along the lateral surfaces of the organ.
- The longitudinal muscle layer continues between the teniae as a thin but complete coat.
- Here, we have shown the pilae ossifying dorsally, as an irregular sheet of bone running roughly between the pila antotica and a similar band of cartilage which comes off the top of the otic capsule, the taenia marginalis.
1.1 (taeniae coli /ˈkōlī/) The smooth longitudinal muscles of the colon.
- Bundles of muscle from the teniae coli penetrate the circular layer at irregular intervals.
- The three taeniae coli converge at the base of the vermiform appendix on the cecum.
- Hanging off the taeniae coli are pouches called epiploic appendages.
- Example sentences
- The tumor cell was found to be restiform and tenioid and it showed characteristics of carcinoid.
- The shape of the hooks was typical of taenioid cestodes, most resembling hooks.
- The rostellum is normally present, rarely absent, and is armed with two alternating rows of hooks of characteristic taenioid shape.
Definition of taenia in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan