Definition of taenia in English:
noun (plural taeniae-nēˌē-nēˌī or taenias)
1 Anatomy A flat ribbonlike structure in the body.
- These sites lie always between the mesenteric tenia and the two antimesenteric teniae, so that the diverticula form rows along the lateral surfaces of the organ.
- The longitudinal muscle layer continues between the teniae as a thin but complete coat.
- Here, we have shown the pilae ossifying dorsally, as an irregular sheet of bone running roughly between the pila antotica and a similar band of cartilage which comes off the top of the otic capsule, the taenia marginalis.
1.1 (taeniae coliˈkōlī) The smooth longitudinal muscles of the colon.
- Bundles of muscle from the teniae coli penetrate the circular layer at irregular intervals.
- The three taeniae coli converge at the base of the vermiform appendix on the cecum.
- Hanging off the taeniae coli are pouches called epiploic appendages.
- Example sentences
- The tumor cell was found to be restiform and tenioid and it showed characteristics of carcinoid.
- The shape of the hooks was typical of taenioid cestodes, most resembling hooks.
- The rostellum is normally present, rarely absent, and is armed with two alternating rows of hooks of characteristic taenioid shape.
Definition of taenia in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.