Definition of tail fin in English:
1A fin at the posterior extremity of a fish’s body, typically continuous with the tail. Also called caudal fin.
- The tail fin of most ray-finned fish, with the exception of sturgeons and paddlefish, is homocercal, nearly symmetrical about the midline.
- The overall appearance of the fish is similar to that of a small shark, given the shape of the body, the powerful tail fin, and the elevated anterior portion of the second dorsal fin.
- Mechanical testing of the tadpole tail fin has revealed that the fin is viscoelastic and stiffer in small rather than large deformations.
1.1 Aeronautics A projecting vertical surface on the tail of an aircraft, providing stability and typically housing the rudder.
- Though not yet covered, the tail fin, rudder, horizontal stabilizer and elevator are all built.
- Shocked travellers described how the larger Boeing 767 shook from side to side as its wing ripped off a tail fin from the smaller aircraft.
- The aircraft structure incorporates larger strakes below the rear section of the fuselage below the position of the tail fin.
1.2An upswept projection on each rear corner of an automobile, popular in the 1950s.
- Even if people hardly knew who Harley Earl was, they associated tail fins with General Motors.
- Earl went on to influence design by giving recognisable features to cars such as chrome, tail fins, curved windshields, and the infamous Motoramas.
- There was nothing in the marketplace of the 1950s that indicated a desire for tail fins on cars in the U.S. and Europe.
Definition of tail fin in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia