chiefly North American
1A wrestling maneuver in which an opponent is swiftly brought to the mat from a standing position.
- I had an advantage over all the other boys I had to wrestle; Ambucs had a fantastic head coach who taught us techniques out of any jam and ways of surprising your opponent with a takedown.
- I went back to learning judo throws and wrestling takedowns.
- The most common takedowns come mainly from freestyle wrestling.
3 [as modifier] Denoting a firearm with the capacity to have the barrel and magazine detached from the stock.
- There's room for tons of gear or even a takedown rifle or shotgun.
- The old Favorites were all takedown guns, while the new Model 30G was a solid frame.
- Regardless, Taylor's & Co. is now offering a Model 92 as a perfect companion for .44 Special sixguns with the added bonus of being a takedown rifle.
Words that rhyme with takedownbreakdown, shakedown
Definition of takedown in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.