Definition of tamarau in English:
A small brownish-black buffalo similar to the anoa, found only on Mindoro in the Philippines.
- Bubalus mindorensis, family Bovidae
- According to the ‘Red Data Book’, the tamarau is one of the rarest mammals in the world.
- The Asian buffalo is classified as Bubalus bubalis, the tamarau as Bubalus mindorensis.
- ‘Water buffalo’ is a general term for these bovids at the waterside including Africans, Asians or tamaraus.
Late 19th century: from Tagalog.
Definition of tamarau in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.