Definition of tamponade in English:
1 (in full cardiac tamponade) Compression of the heart by an accumulation of fluid in the pericardial sac.
- A doctor may confirm a diagnosis of cardiac tamponade by an ultrasound of the heart (echocardiogram).
- Thirteen of the patients were initially asymptomatic, seven presented with atypical chest pain and seven were admitted to the hospital with overt cardiac tamponade.
- Patients with chronic, large pericardial effusion may be asymptomatic but can develop cardiac tamponade precipitously.
2The surgical use of a plug of absorbent material.
- Presence of retinal detachment makes the operative procedure more complex; these patients require some kind of tamponade at the end of surgery - either gas or silicone oil; and overall visual improvement is very guarded.
- Acute management consists of resuscitation and control of bleeding by sclerotherapy or balloon tamponade
- At the time of transfer, the patient was again febrile with a new posterior nares hemorrhage that required packing and tamponade.
Definition of tamponade in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan