noun (plural tantos)
- A Japanese short sword or dagger.More example sentences
- Historically, it should be noted that original Japanese tantos were V-ground.
- Traditional tantos were double-ground and he offers his knives with this grind as well as the asymmetrical chisel grind so popular on tactical knives today.
- I like my tanto and scimitar much more than these military weapons.
adverb[usually with negative] Music
- (Especially as a direction after a tempo marking) too much: allegro non tantoMore example sentences
- This Allegro non tanto is the first movement of this two-movement sonatina.
- Her taut, strongly projected approach to the Allegro, ma non tanto finale produced a cascade of virtuosic razzle dazzle that was always wedded to a sophisticated conception of the score's grand, arching line.
- Pianist Michael Linville, now the New World Symphony's Director of Admissions, played with stylish musicality in the Allegro, ma non tanto from Dvorák's Quartet in A for Piano and Strings Op 81.