- A lever or projecting part on a machine that intermittently makes contact with a cam or other part so as to give or receive motion.More example sentences
- The 16-valve has twin, chain-driven, overhead camshafts and hydraulic tappets, while the 8-valve format uses a single camshaft.
- Contact between the cams and the tappets in the valve train span the mixed and boundary regions.
- The real breakthrough in lifter design for street and moderate competition applications was the marriage of roller tappets with hydraulic lifters.
mid 18th century: apparently an irregular diminutive of tap2.
More definitions of tappetDefinition of tappet in:
- The British & World English dictionary