(also tariqat /-kət/)
1The Sufi doctrine or path of spiritual learning.
- Tariqat has neither the right to waive any law of shariat, nor can it allow the followers of tariqat to be exempted from the bounds and limits of shariat.
- Both tariqat and haqiqat by which the sufis are distinguished, are the third part of shariat.
1.1A Sufi missionary.
- This self-same process of organic expansion along the trade routes, or among semi-settled pastoralists, was sustained by the Sufi tariqas, the mystical orders of Islam.
- Similarly, the Turkish Sufi traditions and tariqas, which played important roles in Turkish social and political history, barely register here.
- Islamic Sufi brotherhoods, known as tariqas, play an important role in the religious practices of the Mauritanians.
From Arabic ṭarīḳa 'manner, way, creed'.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of tariqa in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.