Definition of tarpon in English:
A large tropical marine fish of herringlike appearance.
- Two species in the family Megalopidae: Tarpon atlanticus, a prized Atlantic game fish, and Megalops cyprinoides of the Indo-Pacific
- Among these clades are such diverse forms as arawanas, knifefishes, mormyrids, eels, tarpon, and herring.
- Biologists also are in varying stages of research and replenishment of cobia, speckled trout, tarpon, snook, crappie, bluegill and striped bass stocks.
- There are also, in separate sections, adult turtles and big fish like jewfish, tarpon, snook and stingrays.
late 17th century: probably from Dutch tarpoen, perhaps from a Central American language.
Definition of tarpon in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan