- The company directors of Beartas designed a new tartan, woven in Harris Tweed and called the ‘Isle of Harris Tartan’.
- If designing a new tartan will save the Scottish Socialist party from dying out completely, I'm willing to have a go.
- The revival of the house of Burberry is having an impact too as checks and colourful tartans abound on trousers and skirts.
adjectiveBack to top
- Scotland isn't just tartan fun and highland jinks, it's urban youth culture as well.
- The first is a negative tartan tax to incentivise business location in Scotland.
- This is partly because the much - maligned tartan tax has turned into a remarkably effective instrument of fiscal continence.
late 15th century (originally Scots): perhaps from Old French tertaine, denoting a kind of cloth; compare with tartarin, a rich fabric formerly imported from the east through Tartary.
- The tartan was a small vessel that navigated along the coast of the Mediterranean.
early 17th century: from French tartane, from Italian tartana, perhaps from Arabic ṭarīda.