A woolen cloth woven in one of several patterns of plaid, especially of a design associated with a particular Scottish clan.
- The company directors of Beartas designed a new tartan, woven in Harris Tweed and called the ‘Isle of Harris Tartan’.
- If designing a new tartan will save the Scottish Socialist party from dying out completely, I'm willing to have a go.
- The revival of the house of Burberry is having an impact too as checks and colourful tartans abound on trousers and skirts.
adjectiveBack to top
Used allusively in reference to Scotland or the Scots.
- Scotland isn't just tartan fun and highland jinks, it's urban youth culture as well.
- The first is a negative tartan tax to incentivise business location in Scotland.
- This is partly because the much - maligned tartan tax has turned into a remarkably effective instrument of fiscal continence.
Words that rhyme with tartanAkhenaten, Akhetaten, Aten, Barton, carton, Dumbarton, hearten, Parton, smarten, spartan
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.