Definition of tatting in English:
1A kind of knotted lace made by hand with a small shuttle, used chiefly for trimming.
- The inspiration for Lalie Douglas's newest work, Frivolité, came from a 1753 painting by Louis Tocqué that hangs in the Louvre showing a woman making a type of knotted lace called tatting.
- She's begun adding unique touches of tatting or crocheting or ribbon work.
- The tatting on each edge was simply an effect of elegance and care.
1.1The process of tatting.
- Knitting, crocheting and tatting is not something that has always looked particularly hip when one, say, whips it out at a bar.
- Today, this striking textile is made with a crochet hook, knitting needles, a tatting shuttle or a machine.
- She had never thought tatting to be all that graceful.
Mid 19th century: of unknown origin.
Definition of tatting in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan