1The nineteenth letter of the Greek alphabet (Τ, τ), transliterated as ‘t.’.
- Alpha, rho, tau, sigma, omega, Ash went over the letters he saw in his mind while Lari just stared, apparently in her own little world.
- Eqs. 3-5 are characterized by three parameters, namely sigma 0, tau, and alpha.
- For example, in the modern version, beta is veta or vita; delta is thelta; zeta is zita; eta is ita; theta is thita; lambda is lamvtha; tau is taf.
1.1 (Tau) [followed by Latin genitive] Astronomy The nineteenth star in a constellation: Tau Ceti
More example sentences
- The most likely destinations are the stars closest to Earth, such as Alpha Centauri and Proxima Centauri, Tau Ceti, and Epsilon Eridani.
- This newly discovered planet orbits a star called Tau Gruis, which is about 100 light-years away.
- It is another spacecraft, an interstellar explorer that charted the Tau Ceti and Epsilon Indi systems in the mid-twenty-second century.
1.2 (in full tau particle or tau lepton) Physics An unstable subatomic particle of the lepton class, with a charge of −1 and a mass roughly 3,500 times that of the electron.
- SLAC physicists have won three Nobel prizes for discoveries of quarks and an elementary particle called the tau lepton, known today as fundamental building blocks of matter.
- Scientists became alerted to the existence of the third, tau neutrino in 1977 with the discovery of the tau lepton.
- Even at the deepest level we know, of elementary particles, charge seems to be an integral part of the particles, quarks (which form protons and neutrons, and other heavy particles) are charged, and so are electrons, muons, and taus.
Words that rhyme with tauabhor, adore, afore, anymore, ashore, awe, bandore, Bangalore, before, boar, Boer, bore, caw, chore, claw, cocksure, comprador, cor, core, corps, craw, Delors, deplore, door, draw, drawer, evermore, explore, flaw, floor, for, forbore, fore, foresaw, forevermore, forswore, four, fourscore, furthermore, Gábor, galore, gnaw, gore, grantor, guarantor, guffaw, hard-core, Haugh, haw, hoar, ignore, implore, Indore, interwar, jaw, Johor, Lahore, law, lessor, lor, lore, macaw, man-o'-war, maw, mirador, mor, more, mortgagor, Mysore, nevermore, nor, oar, obligor, offshore, onshore, open-jaw, or, ore, outdoor, outwore, paw, poor, pore, pour, rapport, raw, roar, saw, scaur, score, senhor, señor, shaw, ship-to-shore, shop-floor, shore, signor, Singapore, snore, soar, softcore, sore, spore, store, straw, swore, Tagore, taw, thaw, Thor, threescore, tor, tore, torr, trapdoor, tug-of-war, two-by-four, underfloor, underscore, war, warrantor, Waugh, whore, withdraw, wore, yaw, yore, your
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.