Definition of taurocholic acid in English:
An acid formed by the combination of taurine with cholic acid, occurring in bile.
- It involves use of taurocholic acid and its salts as enhancers for calcitonin containing pharmaceutical compositions.
- Glycocholic acid and unconjugated cholic acid were equally effective as taurocholic acid in suppressing cholesterol 7 alpha-hydroxylase mRNA.
- Example sentences
- Sodium taurocholate or deoxycholate (0.3 mmol/l, bile salt) and/or HCl were added to the mucosal bathing solutions.
- Conjugation of this with taurine or glycine gives the bile salts, taurocholate and glycocholate.
- Other than protein, the most important product of cysteine metabolism is the bile salt precursor taurine, which is used to form the bile acid conjugates taurocholate and taurochenodeoxycholate.
Mid 19th century: from Greek tauros 'bull' + kholē 'bile' + -ic.
Definition of taurocholic acid in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.