A common Eurasian owl with either reddish-brown or gray plumage and a quavering hoot.
- Strix aluco, family Strigidae
More example sentences
- Children were thrilled to be able to stroke a beautiful barn owl, while an enormous eagle owl, a tawny owl, a kestrel and a turkey vulture called George looked on.
- The 47 dead birds were seven barn owls, three kingfishers, a lapwing, a hen harrier, six long-eared owls, nine tawny owls, two kestrels, three green woodpeckers, six little owls, seven sparrowhawks, a water rail and a waxwing.
- Wood peckers, herons, tawny owls and wood warblers are common in the area.
More definitions of tawny owlDefinition of tawny owl in:
- The British & World English dictionary