A large, agile, tree-dwelling animal of the weasel family, with a short dark coat, native to Central and South America.
- Eira barbara, family Mustelidae
More example sentences
- When Foster lost his funding, he left Matola with custody of two jaguars, a puma, an anteater, a tayra, three coatimundis, five curassows, and a cage of parrots.
- Although usually silent, the tayra has been known to give yowls, snarls, or clicks when in groups.
- The tayra occasionally eats poultry and raids corn and sugar fields, but damage is usually minimal.
mid 19th century: from Tupi taira.
More definitions of tayraDefinition of tayra in:
- The British & World English dictionary