Definition of tayra in English:
A large, agile, tree-dwelling animal of the weasel family, with a short dark coat, native to Central and South America.
- Eira barbara, family Mustelidae
- When Foster lost his funding, he left Matola with custody of two jaguars, a puma, an anteater, a tayra, three coatimundis, five curassows, and a cage of parrots.
- Although usually silent, the tayra has been known to give yowls, snarls, or clicks when in groups.
- The tayra occasionally eats poultry and raids corn and sugar fields, but damage is usually minimal.
mid 19th century: from Tupi taira.
Definition of tayra in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan