Definition of tea party in English:
1A social gathering in the afternoon at which tea, cakes, and other light refreshments are served.
- I appreciate the invitation for the afternoon tea party with Princess Mikasa but unfortunately had to go on to something else.
- The local ladies of the Limerick Invalid fund thank all who contributed so generously to the afternoon tea party.
- At least the Vicar's tea party serves refreshments.
2 (Tea Party) A US political party that emerged from a movement of conservatives protesting the federal government in 2009.
[an allusion to the Boston Tea Party]
- Florida, always a key electoral battleground, has become ground zero for the burgeoning Tea Party movement this year.
- Mr. Kennedy has gotten some support from conservative Tea Party organizations.
- Now, Tea Party activists are trying to take over the establishment, ground up.
Tea Partier noun
- Example sentences
- But then you have a second ring of people who tend to sympathize with the Tea Party Movement, and you see this in opinion polls, people who say I'm not a Tea Partier but I like what they're up to.
- As a Tea Partier, I think the term "Tea Party Movement" is very misleading.
- If Polly ever changes political allegiance again (as she did before) I can imagine her as a Tea Partier.
Definition of tea party in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan