Definition of tea party in English:
1A social gathering in the afternoon at which tea, cakes, and other light refreshments are served.
- I appreciate the invitation for the afternoon tea party with Princess Mikasa but unfortunately had to go on to something else.
- The local ladies of the Limerick Invalid fund thank all who contributed so generously to the afternoon tea party.
- At least the Vicar's tea party serves refreshments.
2 (Tea Party) A US political movement that emerged from a series of conservative protests against the federal government in 2009.
[With allusion to the Boston Tea Party]
- Florida, always a key electoral battleground, has become ground zero for the burgeoning Tea Party movement this year.
- Mr. Kennedy has gotten some support from conservative Tea Party organizations.
- Now, Tea Party activists are trying to take over the establishment, ground up.
Tea Partier noun
- Example sentences
- I think it does depend on the ability of the Tea-Partiers to attract and coopt people who aren't conservatives.
- As a Tea Partier, I think the term "Tea Party Movement" is very misleading.
- If Polly ever changes political allegiance again (as she did before) I can imagine her as a Tea Partier.
Definition of tea party in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.