Definition of tear gas in English:
Gas that causes severe irritation to the eyes, chiefly used in riot control to force crowds to disperse.
- The security forces countered with tear gas and water cannons to try to disperse the crowd.
- Police wielded batons and lobbed tear gas shells to disperse crowds and take control of the streets.
- At least five people suffered minor injuries in the unrest as riot police fired tear gas into the crowd.
verb(tear-gas) [with object] (usually be tear-gassed) Back to top
Attack with tear gas.
- Military soldiers arrived and tear-gassed the protesting farmers.
- Like us, they were tear-gassed; today we know that tear gas is carcinogenic and teratrogenic.
- They tear-gassed the offices and harassed reporters.
Definition of tear gas in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.