- 1A nipple of the mammary gland of a female mammal, from which the milk is sucked by the young.More example sentences
- To minimize inhalation of pigmented powder by the animals, only a small amount of powder was applied to the area immediately surrounding the teats of lactating females.
- The females have no teats and the young feed through numerous tiny openings in the skin of the mother's belly.
- The backwardly opening pouch of the female encloses two teats.
- 1.1British A thing resembling this, especially a perforated plastic bulb by which an infant or young animal can suck milk from a bottle.More example sentences
- Even with modern plastic bottles and synthetic teats failure of hygienic cleaning and contaminated water supplies can prove lethal.
- When you bottlefeed, hold your baby close and tip the bottle up so the teat fills with milk, and not air.
- My youngest memory is sitting up in my pram and cutting the top off my bottle teat with a pair of scissors, I can even describe the room and where I was parked
Middle English (superseding earlier tit2): from Old French tete, probably of Germanic origin.
More definitions of teatDefinition of teat in:
- The British & World English dictionary