Definition of technocrat in English:
1An exponent or advocate of technocracy.
- Simultaneously, a forward-looking bishop authorized young Christian Democrat technocrats to experiment with transferring church-owned farms to their workers.
- Is there anyway to guess whether he's going to be a reformer or a conservative or a technocrat or an ideologue?
- The economic planning by technocrats in the Fourth Republic paid off with high growth rates in France in the early years of the Fifth Republic.
1.1A member of a technically skilled elite.
- Rapid industrialization under the Five Year Plans required massive numbers of experts, technocrats, skilled workers, engineers and managers.
- These factions are made up of secular and moderate religious movements and count among their members a number of technocrats and individuals with an unblemished history of patriotism.
- The ancien regime and its destruction by the French Revolution had to be synthesized and made meaningful by a new clergy of elites: the technocrats.
- Example sentences
- After all, if you're living in a technocratic society, it seems perfectly reasonable to try to predict the future by extrapolating trends in science and engineering.
- In a situation where unbridled consumer choice is unquestionably accepted as a value, it's impossible to go beyond technocratic and economic approaches to sustainability.
- Political decision-making is reduced to a series of technocratic management problems, unrelated to our everyday experiences and problems.
- Example sentences
- It was a sophisticated, technologically and technocratically advanced place, but it's undergone some severe hardship, obviously, because of the sanctions, because of the regime, and now because of the war.
- Complementing his ‘cheeky chappy’ mayoral persona with a technocratically sound management of London's transport he became overwhelmingly the most popular politician in London.
- It seemed logical that the unglamorous, nuts-and-bolts business of ‘transition’ would now be managed by the more technocratically adept man.
Words that rhyme with technocratbureaucrat • aristocrat
Definition of technocrat in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.