Definition of technology in English:
noun (plural technologies)
1The application of scientific knowledge for practical purposes, especially in industry: advances in computer technology recycling technologies
More example sentences
- These new technologies can be useful, if we apply them to practical problems.
- The lead times for developing new technologies in the nuclear industry are very long.
- New technologies in medicine are crucial and will have an enormous impact.
1.1Machinery and equipment developed from the application of scientific knowledge.
- This is precisely what new technology has allowed the developed world to do.
- This is a newly developed technology so the parameters remain to be explored.
- The cutting edge technology has been developed by the force's Scientific Support Unit.
1.2The branch of knowledge dealing with engineering or applied sciences.
- The money will be spent over the next four years on technology, science and mathematics.
- These are just a few of the things historians do when they study the past of science, technology and medicine.
- Members of the public will often express caution about the advantages of new science and technology.
- Example sentences
- There are scientists and technologists working in the financial services and venture capital industries.
- In fact, most scientists and technologists know what the hazards are for a particular new product.
- Scientists, technologists, and commercial organizations in other countries are hard at work on these issues.
- Example sentences
- As we will see, this ‘surplus’ in listening space is an effect accessible to all contemporary listeners due to our extensive knowledge of and experience with technologized, reproduced sound.
- Modern nationalist methods of choosing rulers, economic production and distribution, and social structures may have become more organized, technologized and depersonalized, but in their essence they have remained tribal.
- It is this question that these artists engage, attempting to mark out the existential territory of our increasingly globalized and technologized world where time and space are in constant transformation.
Definition of technology in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.