Definition of tectonophysics in English:
plural noun[treated as singular]
The branch of geophysics that deals with the forces that cause movement and deformation in the earth’s crust.
- This paper reviews the recent progress in the studies of experimental rock mechanics and tectonophysics concerning seismology and physics of the Earth's interior in China.
- Tectonophysics is aimed at incoming graduate students and senior undergraduates, and examines the basic physical processes of the dynamic Earth.
- Plate tectonics and tectonophysics are disciplines of Earth Science which describe the motions of the Earth's crust and the associated driving mechanisms of such motion.
- Example sentences
- Our observations challenge tectonophysicists to explain how a normal fault may rupture at such low angle, and support the concept of low-angle detachment even in the classic central Basin and Range.
- Seismologists, geologists, and tectonophysicists discuss the dynamics of earthquakes, floods, landslides and severe storms, and how they have shaped the Earth.
- An enduring challenge facing tectonophysicists is to relate processes and measurements at Earth's surface to their origins at depths that can't be directly observed.
Definition of tectonophysics in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan