1A cleared space on a golf course, from which the ball is struck at the beginning of play for each hole.
- Many times golf course tees and greens are constructed with materials such as calcareous sands that might require special testing.
- The last club I hit is the one I'm planning to use for my tee shot on the first hole of the day.
- He has already taken his tee shot at the first hole and the injury is clearly hampering his swing.
1.1A small peg with a concave head that can be placed in the ground to support a golf ball before it is struck.
- Stick a tee into the ground on an angle, so that the top of it rests just behind the target side of the ball.
- Stick a tee halfway into the ground and stand at address as if a ball were there.
- In fact, take some popcorn to the practice tee and alternate hitting golf balls and pieces of popcorn.
1.3A waist-high or higher stand used in tee-ball to hold a baseball before it is hit with a bat.
[ late 17th century (originally Scots, as teaz): of unknown origin]
- The batting tee should be situated about 3 feet behind home plate.
- This is a nice practice batting tee for little kids.
- When using a conventional batting tee, players tend to lunge forward, on top of their front leg.
2A mark aimed at in lawn bowling, quoits, curling, and other similar games.
- Nowadays the curling 'tee' is the line through the centre of the 'house' in curling and is in fact the target not the release line, which is the 'hog' line.
- Two men played two quoits each against each other throwing them a distance of 18 yards, in aiming the quoit he was assisted by a "leader in" who crouched behind the tee holding a piece of paper.
verb (tees, teeing, teed)[no object] (usually tee up or tee something up) Golf Back to top
1Place the ball on a tee ready to make the first stroke of the round or hole: he had not missed a par as he teed up for the last hole [with object]: she fished in her pocket for a ball and teed it
More example sentences
- The first came on the 204-yard 10th hole, when Jack teed up with his driver and hit his ball in the cup.
- He then teed up his ball… and duck-hooked it right into the side of his own house.
- Then Bob teed up his ball and aimed to the right, directly toward the trees that flanked the fairway.
1.1 [with object] (Especially in soccer) place or move the ball into position to be struck by another player: McKenzie was teed up perfectly 16 yards from goal by Samuel he teed up the ball for a shot on goal
More example sentences
- Toward the cape, a shining white radar dome was teed up on top of the gumdrop mountain.
- Today there's an apple, a smug looking egg teed up in a cup.
- Golf Play the ball from a tee; begin a round or hole of golf: we spend ten minutes practicing putting before we tee offMore example sentences
- With a three-shot cushion, Tiger Woods tees off at the last hole - and sends his drive straight up the middle of the fairway.
- The day began early at the Royal Golf Course where competitors teed off.
- Batting in softball, teeing off in golf and hitting a forehand in tennis also require the type of muscle conditioning provided by this exercise.
tee off on someone/something
- informal Sharply attack someone or something: he will tee off on conservative politicians Chang teed off on his opponent’s serveMore example sentences
- And that was mainly due to a terrible cut over his eye that hindered his vision while Colin teed off on him.
- If you're off by a hair, the batter will tee off on you.
- Andrew and Mickey are teeing off on John.
tee someone off
- (usually be teed off) North American informal Make someone angry or annoyed: Tommy was really teed off at ErnieMore example sentences
- It was one of those things that tees you off, and I responded to that.
- One thing that really tees me off about the tournament, especially in the early rounds is you can't watch the game that you really want.
- So I am teed off at Buster the bunny because this is all his fault.
- Get a few pairs of nice, washed dark denim jeans, a stylish cut dark blazer or sportcoat, a few pinstripe dress shirts, some tees with prints, a pair of stylish black shoes, and a black belt.
- The trendsetting active wear includes velour sweat suits, tees, shorts, tank dresses and jeans.
- Call them T-shirts, tee shirts or tees, they're still hot sellers on the trendy fashion scene.