- Choosing or characterized by abstinence from alcohol: a teetotal lifestyleMore example sentences
- In the West Midlands, 78% were willing to stop drinking, reduce their alcohol intake or were teetotal already compared to 66% in the capital.
- And I hadn't fully realised how odd I'd feel, an omnivore who likes a drink dropped into a city populated largely by teetotal vegetarians.
- The alcohol ban is a strain on my mum, she likes a bit of a drink, but my dad's teetotal.
- More example sentences
- One reason for the multiplicity of groups was a difference of opinion which soon emerged between the advocates of moderation in drinking and those who demanded total abstinence - or teetotalism.
- With the growth of the movement came a more radical agenda of teetotalism and a concerted campaign to end the state's liquor licensing system through local option legislation and eventually state prohibition in the 1850s.
- Personally, as I grow older, I tend more toward my mother's teetotalism and away from my father's moderate drinking.
mid 19th century: emphatic extension of total, apparently first used by Richard Turner, a worker from Preston, England, in a speech (1833) urging total abstinence from all alcohol, rather than mere abstinence from spirits, advocated by some early temperance reformers.