Definition of tegu in English:
noun (plural same or tegus)
A large stocky lizard that has dark skin with pale bands of small spots, native to the tropical forests of South America.
- Genus Tupinambis, family Teiidae: several species, in particular the common tegu (T. teguixin)
- Some nests had clearly been raided by tegus - large black-and-white lizards common in the reserve - and jaguar footprints and scratch marks on trees near nests implicated the big cats as well.
- Adult Argentinian black and white tegus can have a variety of fruits and vegetables added to their diet.
- Argentine Black and White tegus begin breeding here in Florida around mid March until mid April.
1950s: abbreviation of teguexin, from Aztec tecoixin 'lizard'.
Definition of tegu in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan