- A compound present in the walls of Gram-positive bacteria. It is a polymer of ribitol or glycerol phosphate.More example sentences
- The ribitol teichoic acid is usually in the cell wall, and the glycerol teichoic acid is in the cell membrane, the periplasmic region, or in the cell.
- Both the teichoic acid and the lipoteichoic acid contain phosphorylcholine; two choline residues may be covalently added to each carbohydrate repeat.
- Ribitol teichoic acid is an important component of Staphylococcus aureus cell wall.
1950s: teichoic from Greek teikhos 'wall' + -ic.
More definitions of teichoic acidDefinition of teichoic acid in:
- The British & World English dictionary