Definition of telangiectasia in English:
A condition characterized by dilation of the capillaries, which causes them to appear as small red or purple clusters, often spidery in appearance, on the skin or the surface of an organ.
- Tortuous dilation of the hepatic arteries and capillary telangiectasia of the hepatic surface in the operative field were remarkable.
- More than 70% of pulmonary arteriovenous malformations are associated with the genetic condition, hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia, also known as the Osler-Weber-Rendu syndrome.
- A milder form of the same disease, termed Leber's miliary aneurysms, can present later in life as a localised cluster of dilated capillaries, aneurysms, and telangiectasia, typically in the temporal quadrants of the retina.
- Example sentences
- The most important differential diagnosis is with telangiectatic osteosarcoma, however, which features a disorderly proliferation of clearly malignant atypical cells in a vascular background.
- Since it can be confused with several lesions, including telangiectatic osteosarcoma, awareness of this rare appearance of aneurysmal bone cyst is important to avoid unnecessary radical surgery.
- Nodulocystic basal cell carcinoma presents as a solitary, shiny, red nodule with large telangiectatic vessels, often seen on the face.
Mid 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek telos 'end' + angeion 'vessel' + ektasis 'dilatation'.
Definition of telangiectasia in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.