Definition of telltale in English:
Revealing, indicating, or betraying something: the telltale bulge of a concealed weapon
More example sentences
- Most people who lose weight from only dieting develop telltale signs of this, by having a lot of loose skin, as opposed to the well-toned, firm body of someone who is eating correctly and exercising.
- Then he notes the telltale faint imprints of claws.
- That telltale pressure is one of the hallmarks of acute sinusitis.
nounBack to top
2A device or object that automatically gives a visual indication of the state or presence of something.
- Additional reinforcement was provided by a pair of 1/2-inch diameter, black iron pipes which were used as telltales.
- He said the only area of movement he had been able to detect was where the balcony was attached to the front wall, but suggested telltales should be cemented across the cracks to see if they were getting worse.
Words that rhyme with telltalerat's-tail
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.