Definition of tench in English:
noun (plural same)
A European freshwater fish of the minnow family, popular with anglers and widely introduced elsewhere, including several US states.
- Tinca tinca, family Cyprinidae
- This lake is mainly carp, with rudd, roach, eels and tench as back-up fish.
- Across the way on Acorn Lakes, carp, skimmers, tench and crucians can be found.
- The club has a lake stocked with fish such as perch, roach, tench, rudd, carp and pike.
Middle English: from Old French tenche, from late Latin tinca.
Words that rhyme with tenchbackbench, bench, blench, clench, Dench, drench, entrench, French, frontbench, quench, stench, trench, wench, wrench
Definition of tench in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.