noun (plural tendencies)
- 1An inclination toward a particular characteristic or type of behavior: for students, there is a tendency to socialize in the evenings criminal tendenciesMore example sentences
- The human race has a pervasive tendency towards religious conviction.
- I have a tendency to scratch vigorously behind my right knee when distracted.
- He has a tendency to be ruthless when he has tired of a girlfriend.
- 1.1A group within a larger political party or movement: the dominant tendency in the party remained right-wingMore example sentences
- Other tendencies or parties will prevail and hold the movement back.
- Two political tendencies emerged during this period of rampant anti-Semitism.
- These political tendencies are expected to register gains in the coming election.
early 17th century: from medieval Latin tendentia, from tendere 'to stretch' (see tend1).