Definition of tenderloin in English:
1The tenderest part of a loin of beef, pork, etc., taken from under the short ribs in the hindquarters.
- Pork tenderloin is the fillet steak of the pig and is seriously underrated.
- The meat section had: butterflied lamb, mutton, beef, pork chop, pork tenderloin and T-bone.
- For generous helpings of protein and low levels of fat, pork loin and tenderloin are on par with chicken breast.
1.1US The undercut of a sirloin.
- This is the fillet (also known as tenderloin, or undercut), a long muscle located underneath the bones of the sirloin.
- A Porterhouse steak consists of both tenderloin and sirloin.
- If you can afford cuts such as tenderloin or top sirloin, you can feel good about eating a tasty yet healthy source of protein.
2North American informal A district of a city where vice and corruption are prominent.
[ Late 19th century: originally a term applied to a district of New York, seen as a 'choice' assignment by police because of the bribes offered to them to turn a blind eye]
- Urban reformers had closed the segregated districts in over eighty cities, including the entrenched tenderloins.
- Most large and many smaller cities had thriving, protected tenderloins.
- Wards with vice districts consistently elected important tenderloin businessmen, usually leading saloon keepers.
Words that rhyme with tenderloinBurgoyne • Gascogne
Definition of tenderloin in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.