Entry from British & World English dictionary
Definition of tenebrism in English:
A style of painting developed by Caravaggio and other 17th-century Spanish and Italian artists, characterized by predominantly dark tones and shadows with dramatically contrasting effects of light.
- His stay in Italy, where he encountered Caravaggesque naturalism and tenebrism, was decisive for his art.
- For him, tenebrism fit the general category of ‘furtive painting’, a style that was intended to conceal shortcomings by means of cloaking shadows.
- Caravaggio revolutionized Baroque painting with a technique called tenebrism.
- Example sentences
- His first works were painted in a naturalistic and tenebrist style.
- She creates a tenebrist tableau of brilliant whites and jet blacks.
- He was at his best as a tenebrist.
From Italian tenebroso 'dark' + -ism.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.