Definition of tensile in English:
1Of or relating to tension.
- Compressive forces are generally significantly greater than the tensile forces generated in a tensile test.
- Most simply, muscle fibers activated by the nervous system produce tensile forces that are transmitted to the skeleton.
- The resulting tensile forces on the beads mimicked those in a traction splint, which is sometimes used to hold fractured bones in place.
2Capable of being drawn out or stretched.
- Therefore, concrete beams are reinforced with steel rods on the tensile side (in cross section) when experiencing bending.
- Eva Jiricna's Faith Zone is a cluster of arched tensile canopies stretched out over sinuous walls.
- Steel plates connect the flanges of the columns, producing an in-situ tensile membrane capable of resisting loads up to 50 psi.
- Example sentences
- Alternatively you could do what the Delhiites do, they unravel their old sweaters and dye the wool, mix some new wool to give it tensility and then knit themselves a brand new sweater in a completely new design!
- The wrought glass had been shaped to exact specifications, the strength of its form compensating for the weakness of its tensility.
- The tensility of the poly fibers used here is thicker and stronger to meet our safety and quality standard.
Definition of tensile in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan