1A pole supporting a tent.
- Dressed just in pyjamas, they attempted to secure the tent in a howling gale, only to discover a tent pole had broken.
- There's a slab of concrete where the tent pole goes in.
- Lounging against barriers erected for crowd control, they offered unsolicited advice to frazzled young ladies tangled in a complex mass of tent poles.
2 [usually as modifier] informal, chiefly US A movie that is expected to be very successful and therefore able to fund a range of related products or movies: tent-pole movies can run to three hundred million or more in total costs
More example sentences
- Yes, Ang Lee is directing a summer tent pole.
- Director Alejandro Agresti and his team are hereby remanded from making any studio tent pole pictures with budgets greater than $25 million.
- I see it as a tent pole for summer 2003.
Definition of tent pole in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.