- A Mexican grass that is grown as fodder and is considered to be one of the parent plants of modern corn.
More example sentences
- Zea mays subsp. mexicana, family Gramineae
- For decades plant biologists have been arguing about whether domestic maize is really a descendant of teosinte, a Mexican grass.
- Consequently, they will help to increase our understanding of the gene-flow process in Mexico and Central America where teosinte and maize populations grow in geographic proximity and flower synchronously.
- We also examine genetic variation in teosinte for several quantitative traits that differentiate maize and teosinte.
late 19th century: from French téosinté, from Nahuatl teocintli, apparently from teo:tl 'god' + cintli 'dried ear of maize'.
More definitions of teosinteDefinition of teosinte in:
- The British & World English dictionary