Definition of teratology in English:
1 Medicine & Biology The scientific study of congenital abnormalities and abnormal formations.
- Rejecting the notion that freaks were sports of nature, Saint - Hilaire argued that teratology (the medical study of congenital monstrosity) should link normal and abnormal development.
- Genomics is unlikely to be of use in teratology studies because of the rapid rate of change in the developing organism.
- It is also forging links with medically oriented areas of developmental biology such as teratology and endocrine disruption.
- Example sentences
- I'm already planning to have the students poison developing zebrafish embryos and observe the formation of teratological defects, so I think sending 'em off to stab baby flies would fit right in with the program.
- It was suggested, by the French surgeon Jean Riolan and the Italian naturalist Ulysses Aldrovandi, that the new teratological science claimed to understand monstrosity exclusively in terms of physical deformity.
- This was the process by which the extraordinary body ceased to be truly extraordinary - that is, outside the realm of the natural - the process by which the teratological was stripped of its wonder and made simply pathological.
- Example sentences
- Isidore Geoffroy Saint-Hillaire was the first teratologist to classify conjoined twins, using Greek etymology to describe the twins in terms of their shared anatomy.
- The catalog provides a source of reference for teratologists wishing knowledge of the literature dealing with a particular teratogenic agents.
- It is interesting to note that modern teratologists retained ` monster’ as a scientific term, therefore using a word which, through centuries, had inspired many prejudices.
Definition of teratology in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan