- (In an insect) a sclerotized plate forming the tergum of a segment. Compare with sternite.More example sentences
- These muscles are arranged as a series of parallel muscle fibers from the lateral edge of the dorsal tergite to the ventral sternite.
- They are distinguished by prominent keeled tergites, and legs with eight segments and well sclerotised exoskeleton.
- Unlike centipedes, there are more tergites than segments.
More definitions of tergiteDefinition of tergite in:
- The British & World English dictionary