Entry from British & World English dictionary
Definition of ternate in English:
- Mexican mock orange (Choisya ternata) is a good example of a plant with ternate leaves.
- Based on leaf architecture, there are three main compound leaf types: pinnate, palmate, and ternate.
- ternately adverb
- Example sentences
- The leaf is usually ternately divided, the petiolule about equalling the blade in length.
- Ternately compound leaves come in threes, such as poison ivy (Toxicodendron radicans).
- The plant has ferny, pinnately or ternately decompound leaves and produces compound umbels with small white or pinkish flowers that are attractive to bees.
Mid 18th century: from modern Latin ternatus, from medieval Latin ternare 'make threefold', from terni 'three at once'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.