Definition of terpenoid in English:
Any of a large class of organic compounds including terpenes, diterpenes, and sesquiterpenes. They have unsaturated molecules composed of linked isoprene units, generally having the formula (C5H8)n.
- Many species endemic in Australia are known to synthesize and accumulate significant quantities of volatile terpenoids.
- The nectar is sucrose-dominant but also contains low concentrations of glucose, fructose, free amino acids and possibly terpenoids.
- Agents used in household cleaning compositions are composed of structurally diverse classes of chemicals, including surface active agents, phenols, and terpenoids.
adjectiveBack to top
Denoting terpenoid compounds.
- In other plant-herbivore systems, the physical properties of the resins are determined by their terpenoid composition.
- Tobacco was used as the host plant because it is an appropriate host for genetic engineering and its endogenous terpenoid metabolism has been well studied.
- The genus is notable for its terpenoid secretions and exudates that arise from a system of arborescent resin canals.
Definition of terpenoid in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan