Any of a large class of organic compounds including terpenes, diterpenes, and sesquiterpenes. They have unsaturated molecules composed of linked isoprene units, generally having the formula (C5H8)n.
- Many species endemic in Australia are known to synthesize and accumulate significant quantities of volatile terpenoids.
- The nectar is sucrose-dominant but also contains low concentrations of glucose, fructose, free amino acids and possibly terpenoids.
- Agents used in household cleaning compositions are composed of structurally diverse classes of chemicals, including surface active agents, phenols, and terpenoids.
Denoting terpenoid compounds.
- In other plant-herbivore systems, the physical properties of the resins are determined by their terpenoid composition.
- Tobacco was used as the host plant because it is an appropriate host for genetic engineering and its endogenous terpenoid metabolism has been well studied.
- The genus is notable for its terpenoid secretions and exudates that arise from a system of arborescent resin canals.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of terpenoid in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.