- 1A stretch of land, especially with regard to its physical features: they were delayed by rough terrainMore example sentences
- Mr Feeney said most people were unused to walking over rough terrain and their ankles are not strong enough.
- Between the gap and the mountain was a wild and broken terrain of scarp and gorge.
- The lovely grassland terrain levelled out and for another mile we continued south.
- 2 Geology variant form of terrane.
early 18th century (denoting part of the training ground in a riding school): from French, from a popular Latin variant of Latin terrenum, neuter of terrenus (see terrene).